'Painfully funny. The pain and the funniness somehow add up to something entirely good, entirely noble and entirely loveable.' - Stephen Fry
Sunday Times Humour Book of the Year
Winner of the Books Are My Bag Non-Fiction Book of the Year
Winner of Blackwell's Debut Book of the Year
Winner of iBooks' Book of the Year
Welcome to the life of a junior doctor: 97-hour weeks, life and death decisions, a constant tsunami of bodily fluids, and the hospital parking meter earns more than you.
Scribbled in secret after endless days, sleepless nights and missed weekends, Adam Kay's This is Going to Hurt provides a no-holds-barred account of his time on the NHS front line. Hilarious, horrifying and heartbreaking, this diary is everything you wanted to know - and more than a few things you didn't - about life on and off the hospital ward.
This edition includes extra diary entries and a new afterword by the author.
- Introduction - i: Introduction
- Chapter - 1: House Officer
- Chapter - 2: Senior House Officer Post 1
- Chapter - 3: Senior House Officer Post 2
- Chapter - 4: Senior House Officer Post 3
- Chapter - 5: Registrar Post 1
- Chapter - 6: Registrar Post 2
- Chapter - 7: Registrar Post 3
- Chapter - 8: Registrar Post 4
- Chapter - 9: Senior Registrar
- Chapter - 10: Aftermath
- Section - ii: An Open Letter to the Secretary of State for Health
- Acknowledgements - iii: Acknowledgements